Monday, July 4, 2011

erin wasson












She is my girl crush, style icon, muse, lover and everything else!
 Erin is so flipping cool, down to earth and so incredibly inspiring to me, she was classified as the 'it' girl for the moment and was said to be alexander wang's muse and friend. 
I have a big obsession with her surf/skate, raw, natural and laid back style and attitude she has. 

Interview by Simon Chilvers - Erin Wasson 

Do you have a grooming or makeup routine?
No, I'm pretty low maintenance. As you can tell, I wasn't into my hair today so I put it up in a pompom. On a daily basis, it's a bit of concealer over some spots - and some eyeliner if I feel like stepping it up a notch. I loathe hair salons. People have always told me I am in the wrong business because I can't stand getting my hair cut or having it messed around with. Hairdressers feel as if they've got to be your shrinks. I just want them to do my hair, so I can get out of there.
Whose style do you admire?
All the girls who are not in the pages of fashion magazines. The girls that live in the East Village in New York you see walking down St Mark's. They didn't look at a fashion magazine or go to Barneys and put something on their credit card. I like girls who are really eccentric and kooky. I love the rockabilly look - not a rockabilly look because it's "this season", but the real deal. Believe it or not, there was a lot of that look in Dallas where I grew up.
What are you wearing today?
This is a really old vintage Fendi coat that I scored at a thrift store in New York, which I love. It's 12 sizes too big so I feel like a bag lady. This top is from a collection I designed for RVCA - it's called "sweetheart of the rodeo". The shoes are from Phi; they're from next season. I emailed the designer Andreas Melbostad and said I've got to have them.
Is this your signature look?
Yes, it's slightly dishevelled. I think a lot of people know me for just wearing cut-off denim shorts, an oversized white T-shirt with a pair of high-heels. I usually do wear basic stuff. Jeans and a white T is my go-to look.
Do you think your style is judged differently because you're a model?
Totally. I think that things are dissected a bit more. Just the fact that I've got these shoes on, people are going to be like, "Oh, she's a model, of course she can phone the designer and of course they're going to send them to her and everyone else in the whole world has to wait six months for them."
What's the most expensive thing that you've ever bought?
A Chloé handbag that was pretty expensive. It's python. I feel a bit tragic wearing the hip new bag of the season but it's hard to find one with a good shape. This bag is great for shoving lots of stuff in on the plane and also works for during the day. It was about 2,000 bucks. I went back to the store three times before I bought it.
Tell me about an early fashion memory.
I always did the [Alexander] McQueen shows. One season, I was literally a horse. It took about 20 minutes to get into my outfit. I had this huge, long horse mane coming out of my head and this great big metal horse-bit in my mouth. I think I had to be cut out of that. With McQueen, you always felt like you were more than a model.
Is there anything you'd never wear?
I'm really not into that super-crazy-colour, smiley-faces-on-the-front-of-your-dress look. That's not my thing. You're not going to see me in pink. Or anything frilly. Or a tutu. Or bows.
Do you just get ready in the morning and go?
Pretty much. If I'm working all day and I have a dinner or something, I'll go from jeans and T-shirt to maybe a simple black dress. Same heels. Same hair and makeup. I really like the idea of being utilitarian. My dream is to edit down my wardrobe and be very Japanese, where you have one rolling rack and it's like your four T-shirts, your five dresses, your two pairs of jeans. That's so not the case right now. I have so much crap in my closets. I love the idea of being super edited.

No comments:

Post a Comment